1. In a bowl, place the dates, boiling water and vanilla extract then zap in the microwave for 45 secs. Let stand for a few minutes then lightly mash with a fork.
2. Cream together the butter and demerara sugar
3. Beat the eggs, add to butter mixture then beat in the black treacle.
4. Fold in 1/3 of the flour and all the bicarbonate of soda.
5. Add half the milk and repeat continuously adding the milk and flour until it is all used then stir in the mashed dates.
6. Spoon the mixture into ramekins and bake for 20-25 minutes at 180 degrees C.
7. To make the sauce, melt the butter, sugar and half the cream, bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes until sugar has dissolved.
8. Stir in the black treacle, turn up the heat and let mixture simmer for 2-3 minutes, stir occasionally.
9. Remove from heat and add rest of cream.
10. For the triangle drizzle, dissolve the granulated sugar in a little water and boil for 4 minutes until golden in colour. Then drizzle onto baking parchment and leave to set (about 10 seconds.)
11. To serve, turn the puddings out onto a plate, pour the toffee sauce over the top and serve with a dollop of crème fraîche or cream and a sugar triangle drizzle to garnish.