1. Place the tomatoes, cream, ginger and garlic in a blender and blend until a thick sauce forms, then set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat. Add the bay leaves and fry, stirring constantly, for 6-8 minutes until the onions are golden brown.
3. Add the chillies, cumin, coriander, paprika, tumeric, salt and garam masala and stir for 1 minute, or until you can smell the aroma of the spices. Watch carefully so the mixture does not burn.
4. Tip in the chicken pieces and fry, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Stir the tomato and cream mixture into the pan, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 5 minutes until the chicken is heated through.
5. Bring 125ml / 4fl oz/ 1/2 cup water to the boil while the chicken mixture is simmering, then add the boiling water to the chicken and simmer for a further 1 minute, stirring, or until droplets of oil appear on the surface.
Serve hot with Buttery Spinach and Potatoes and Plain Basmati Rice.